Breast Augmentation Newport Beach
WHAT IS BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY?
Breast Augmentation Surgery involves using breast implants to increase the size of your breasts or restore breast volume that has been lost after weight reduction or pregnancy. Breast augmentation is clinically referred to as augmentation mammoplasty.
Breast augmentation SURGERY can:
- Increase fullness and projection of your breasts
- Improve the balance of your figure
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence
Breast augmentation SURGERY WILL NOT:
Breast augmentation does not correct severely drooping breasts. If you want your breasts to look fuller and to be lifted due to sagging, a breast lift may be required in conjunction with breast augmentation.
Breast lifting can often be done at the same time as your augmentation or may require a separate operation. Dr. Rosing will assist you in making this decision during your consultation.
TYPES OF BREAST IMPLANTS
Silicone breast implants are filled with silicone gel. The gel feels a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell, or may escape into the breast implant pocket. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse. Dr. Rosing typically uses silicone gel implants made by Allergan.
If you choose silicone implants, you may need to visit your plastic surgeon regularly to make sure the implants are functioning properly. An ultrasound or MRI screening can assess the condition of breast implants.
Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older.
Saline breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. Should the implant shell leak, a saline implant will collapse and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body.
Saline breast implants provide a uniform shape, firmness and feel, and are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older.
Breast Augmentation Candidates
Breast augmentation is a very personal procedure and you should do it for yourself, not for someone else.
YOU MAY BE A CANDIDATE FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY IF:
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing shape and volume after pregnancy, weight loss, or with aging
- You are unhappy with the upper part of your breast appearing “empty”
- Your breasts are asymmetrical
- One or both breasts failed to develop normally or have an elongated shape
- Many patients find it helpful to review breast augmentation photos and learn about what to expect during recovery as they navigate the decision-making process to have surgery. Please note, results may vary.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
During your breast augmentation recovery, you will be taken into a recovery area to be closely monitored following surgery.
Your breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressings and an elastic bandage or support bra will minimize swelling and support the breasts as they heal.
You may be permitted to go home after a few hours. Before leaving, you will be given specific instructions that may include how to care for your breasts following surgery, medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the risk of infection, and when to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.
You may be instructed to wear a support bra around the clock for the first week or two. It will be important to cleanse the incision sites and apply ointment as directed. Be sure to follow all instructions carefully.
After a post-surgical breast augmentation recovery period of 24 to 48 hours and an additional reduced-activity period of a few days, you will likely experience soreness and swelling for a few weeks.
Dr. Rosing will discuss with you when it is safe to resume exercise and normal activity.